posted on June 06, 2014 by
Here’s how I know I need to take a vacation from blogging: it’s taken me two weeks just to get this post done. This seemingly simple post. Although this simple post has come with a lot of thinking. On the surface of why I’m taking a break: time. Work is looking to be a bit crazy this summer and on top of that I’ll be gone for almost three weeks on vacation (NOT complaining about that!). But beyond those reasons, I have some bigger things I need to figure out.
I have a lot of ideas for this little blog, but without having a lot of time to execute them, I find myself getting frustrated. I started this blog as a creative outlet, something that reflected me, and I still enjoy it for that reason, but I feel like I’m posting more out of obligation (to who though?) and not out of actual desire. I think my frustration stems from wanting to generate original content, but with a more-than-full-time job and a pretty busy life, it’s hard to find the time to create enough quality content to be making any sort of breakthrough. And I don’t want to be in the business of regurgitating stuff that exists a million other places. That’s just not me.
Ideas have been swirling for months around a redesign, streamlining my categories, offering up some new things. But to really figure out what I want to do with Girly Obsessions, and to do it justice by not half-assing it, I’m taking the summer off. Starting three weeks ago. And I’ll reevaluate in a few months and see how I feel. Maybe I’ll have new ideas and feel inspired. Maybe I’ll just be done with it altogether. Or maybe I’ll start something new. Only time will tell. And I’ll keep you posted.
In the meantime, please feel free to browse old posts. And I’ll still be somewhat active on the Girly Obsessions social networks, so keep in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram! And if you want to follow my personal Instagram account where I’ll probably be more active, I’m @fluttography.
And as always, a big thanks to all my loyal readers for sticking with me and reading this blog! You are the reason I’ve been inspired to keep it going as long as I have!
Have a WONDERFUL summer!!
posted on February 04, 2014 by
Somehow Christmas is now six weeks behind us and Valentine’s Day is less than two weeks away! In general, I’m not really that into V-Day as a holiday. But I do enjoy celebrating love. And eating my weight in chocolate and conversation hearts… So in honor of that, here is a gift guide filled with all thinks pink. And a little red. (But mostly pink.) Either way, lots of gift ideas for all the special girls in your life!
posted on January 31, 2014 by
This post has been on my to-do list since December, when Pantone revealed their color of the year for 2014. So that just shows you how far behind I am on this blogging business. Kind of pathetic actually. (Like I’m not even sure that some of this stuff is still available, in which case, I apologize.) But I’m happy to get this post up on the last day of January – I think that still qualifies as the “new year,” right? So, here’s my belated introduction to Pantone’s Color of the Year: Radiant Orchid. I love purple, and I love pink, and this color is a perfect combination of the two. According to Pantone, “Radiant Orchid blooms with confidence and magical warmth that intrigues the eye and sparks the imagination. It is an expressive, creative and embracing purple—one that draws you in with its beguiling charm. A captivating harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid emanates great joy, love and health.”
Assuming we’ll be seeing this color all over the place this year, from fashion and makeup to home decor, here are a few items that are first to embrace this modern, rich, pinky-purple. What do you think about Pantone’s choice for color of the year?
posted on December 10, 2013 by
Just cause we’re chicks doesn’t mean we don’t like technology! From iPhone cases and headphones to cameras and keyboards, the next page of the Holiday 2013 Girly Gift Guide is all about getting geek chic! And for those of you who like to get crafty, check out the Silhouette cutting machines. It cuts almost anything into almost anything, with unlimited crafting possibilities! Check out the full guide below the collection, or by clicking here. Happy girly gifting!
1. Marc By Marc Jacobs iPhone Wristlet, 118. 2. Kate Spade Harrison Stripe USB, 50. 3. Kate Spade Geek Chic Earmuffs, 88. 4. Kate Spade iPhone Case & Portable Charger, 120. 5. Case-Mate Brilliance iPhone Case, 80. 6. Frends Layla Headphones, 149.99 7. Anthropologie Mod Dot Backup iPhone Battery, 38. 8. Kate Spade Hold The Phone iPhone Stickers, 15. 9. C.Wonder Silicone Bluetooth Keyboard, 54. 10. Silhouette Portrait & Cameo Electronic Cutting Machines, 125-269. 11. Lomography Diana F+ Mini Camera, 79.
posted on December 09, 2013 by
Remember in my last post how I mentioned hiding the gingerbread latte chub? Here are some things that can help with that. The next page of the Holiday 2013 Girly Gift Guide is all about getting warm and cozy and bundling up for winter! Check out the full guide below the collection, or by clicking here. Happy girly gifting!
1. J.Crew Excursion Quilted Vest, 120. 2. Canada Goose Kensington Parka, 695. 3. Victoria’s Secret The Dreamer Flannel Pajama, 49.50 4. J.Crew Cable-Knit Trapper Hat, 49.50 5. Sorel Tivoli Waterproof Boot, 119.95 6. Hue Fair Isle Sweater Tights, 80. 7. Club Monaco Natasha Leather Snood, 98.50 8. Coach Plaid Print iPhone Case, 38. 9. West Elm Gilded Cable Throw, 89. 10. Kate Spade Pop Top Gloves, 58. 11. J.Crew Ceramic Travel Coffee Cup, 16.50
posted on December 09, 2013 by
Guys, there are only 15 days left until Christmas. FIFTEEN! What the heck? I feel like most of us don’t want to think about working out in the winter. At least in places where it’s cold. That’s the beauty of winter clothes – they can hide the extra pounds left behind from too many cookies, gingerbread lattes and pepperminty cocktails. But for those of
us you that do work out in the winter, check out the next page of the Holiday 2013 Girly Gift Guide for some essential gear!
Also, my friend Kelly at IRUNLIKEAGIRL has been kind enough to offer an exclusive discount on their new Racer Girl Tank. Save $5 on the Racer Girl Tank using promo code RACERGIRLGO valid now through 12.15.13. Thanks Kelly!
Check out the full guide below the collection, or click here. Happy girly gifting!
1. Lululemon Flow Y Bra IV, 42. 2. IRUNLIKEAGIRL Racer Girl Tank, 28. 3. Beats By Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Controltalk Headphones, 129.95 4. Ray-Ban Aviator Sunglasses, 150. 5. Zella Power Play Live In Leggings, 58. 6. Nike Nike+ Sportwatch GPS, 169. 7. Pure + Good Striped Ruffle Jacket, 98. 8. Victoria’s Secret 2-In-1 Puffer Jacket, 199.50 9. Nike Free 5.0 Running Shoe, 100. 10. Nike C72 Beautility Duffle Bag, 275. 11. BKR Water Bottle, 28.
posted on December 06, 2013 by
As a designer, this is probably my favorite page of the Holiday 2013 Girly Gift Guide! I’m obsessed with typography, especially ampersands and punctuation, so I’m thrilled that monograms have gone mainstream this year! Check out the full guide below the collection, or by clicking here. Happy girly gifting!
1. Pim + Larkin Cashmere Blend Novelty Sweater, 98. 2. Anthropologie Bobbi Pin Set, 15. 3. J.Crew Blah Blah Tee, 49.50 4. Anthropologie Limited Edition Golden Monogram Mug, 10. 5. Urban Outfitters Oh Emm Gee Card, 5.50 6. Little Book Of Lettering Emily Gregory, 24.95 7. Kate Spade Expletive Paper Clips, 12. 8. Aqua Stackable Initial Rings, 24. 9. Dogeared Initial Pendant Necklace, 58. 10. C.Wonder Lucite Ampersand, 68. 11. Pottery Barn Personalized Alphabet Pillow Cover, 42.50
posted on December 04, 2013 by
‘Tis the season for celebrating and breaking out the bubbly! Or the wine. Or the gin. Or whatever! Bottoms up and CHEERS! to the next page in the Holiday 2013 Girly Gift Guide. Check out the full guide below the collection, or by clicking here. Happy girly gifting! (P.S. How great are those Wine Teeth Wipes and the Rewined candles??)
1. Anthropologie Elysees Cocktail Shaker, 30. 2. Storied Sips Erica Duecy, 22.99 3. Masanori Oji Bottle Opener, 40. 4. Izola The Hell With Work Flask, 28. 5. Kate Spade Wine Tag Set, 16. 6. Borracha Wine Teeth Wipes, 8.95 7. Anthropologie Noctua Bottle Opener, 28. 8. St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur 9. Kate Spade Champagne Labels Iphone Case, 40. 10. Kate Spade Pop Fizz Clink Necklace, 78. 11. Rewined Handcrafted Candle, 25.
posted on December 03, 2013 by
This is the last of the essential girly trends in the Holiday 2013 Girly Gift Guide, but it’s probably one of the best: SPARKLE! The holiday season is a great time of year to get a little glittery, but I think it’s good to shine year round! You can never have too much sparkle! You can see the full guide below the collection, or by clicking here. Happy girly gifting!
1. Boden Sequin Blazer, 228. 2. Chantecaille The Diamonds Eyeshadow Palette, 60. 3. Coach Glitter Inlay iPhone Case, 48. 4. Kate Spade Carousel Bangle Watch, 250. 5. Pottery Barn Jeweled Cuff Napkin Ring, 39.50 6. Kate Spade Keds Glitter Sneaker, 80. 7. Alexis Bittar Miss Havisham Earrings, 125. 8. Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb Crystal Eau De Parfum, 120. 9. Loft Sequin Stripe Infinity Scarf, 39.50 10. Three Dots Sequin Front Sweatshirt, 110. 11. Deux Lux Anais Weekend Satchel, 95. 12. J.Crew Shirttail Mini In Sequins, 138. 13. Deborah Lippmann Va Va Voom Nail Polish, 19.
posted on December 03, 2013 by
From quilted leather to studs and skulls, moto has dominated the fashion scene this year. This page in the Holiday 2013 Girly Gift Guide is all about adding a little edge! You can see the full guide below the collection, or by clicking here. Happy girly gifting!
1. J.Crew Leather Pyramid Studded Belt, 58. 2. Butter London Glam Rock Nail Set, 39. 3. Michael Kors York Platform Bootie, 198. 4. Michael Kors Wren Pavé Watch, 375. 5. Dogeared Mini Gold Skull Earrings, 40. 6. TopShop Wylde Faux Leather Jacket, 85. 7. Case-Mate Barely There Studded Case, 35. 8. Alex & Ani Vintage 66 Rock & Raw Prism Wrap Bracelet, 68. 9. Frye Jenna Skull Stud, 598. 10. Coach Pyramid Stud Bangle, 138. 11. Marc By Marc Jacobs Too Hot To Handle Hobo, 458.